Monday, January 2, 2017

Just a Sunday Driver

Driving along in the mom van, I typically take advantage of cruise control.  The idea of maintaining legal speed throughout the journey, without managing the pedal just so to balance the needle appropriately, seems to me a genius invention.  This device works brilliantly when traveling highway miles.  Within towns/cities not so much.

Cruising along at a speed believed to assure safety, I change from lane to lane, avoiding the need to cancel cruise.  Then, IT happens. . .either a Sunday driver chooses my lane and the fast lane fills with those exceeding legal limits; or, traffic causes red lights to blare on all vehicles ahead.  Both scenarios demand cruise to cancel and brakes to be applied.  The flow of travel ruined by the situation at hand.

Ever feel like you cruise along in life maintaining speeds believed to assure safety, then. . .WHAM! Life hits you out of nowhere?  It could be a simple Sunday driver blocking the way or a much greater detriment ahead in the road causing the backup.  Whatever the cause, YOU are inconvenienced in travel along the road.

I recently experienced the only slow down that causes me to reach for the brakes.  Christmas break, yet again, gave the gift of sickness.  Thankfully, this one allowed for day to day living; unlike last year which landed me couch bound for over a week.  This one forced my body to move in slow motion, enjoy the moment and focus on healing rather than perfection.  I learned a lot with this minor illness. . .



I learned that becoming a Sunday driver, avoiding cruise control and remaining focused in life can bring great joy.  Slowing down, taking life as it comes, will prevent such a knocked down halt as I often experience due to running until empty.  Benefits of a Sunday driver:  keeping vehicle in working order, recognize any slight difference in function of vehicle, enjoyment of scenery, less risk for missing an exit/turn, gentle slow down should something in the roadway cause a traffic jam, less damage should impact with an object occur, etc.

I choose today to become a Sunday driver.  I choose today to slow down, take care of me and quit cruising along the road in hopes to reach perfection.  

It’s DAY TWO. . .what will your speed be for the day?

   
Live life. . .One Day at a time!
Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment