Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Coach Position Filled



One of the worst feelings in the world is the inability to calm my child.  One child continuously worries, experiences nightmares way too often and cannot grasp the idea of patience.  The other child fills with anxiety when thrown out of routine, enrages at situations appearing unfair and cannot grasp the love felt for him.

I desire to ease worries, comfort nightmares and embrace impatience.  I wish to erase anxiety, calm anger and display love abundantly.  Except, I am the parent, life does not stop to experience a Hallmark moment and discipline must be used to teach.  Therefore, on too many occasions, I receive the label ‘mean’.  When impatience rears its ugly head, I must find a way to halt such behavior and teach another method; rather than give into whatever situation provokes such reaction in said child.  When anger results in screaming, slamming doors and unkind words, I must find disciplinary actions to demonstrate such behavior is unacceptable; rather than turn the other way and ignore.

The impatience will subside and waiting will occur.  The anger may still come, but the emotion will find another way to be processed other than outwardly onto others.  Taking day after day with these children, embracing teaching moments, laughing together, spending time to display love, speaking kindly and walking alongside them through life will present amazing results.  Though most days the amazing results cannot be fathomed, parents must stand firm and be the parent.

Parents love, comfort, embrace, teach, exemplify acceptable behavior, guide, discipline and hold responsibility for the children God provided.  Parents were assigned such position because God believed in them.  God knew the characteristics meshed together within the home would develop a fantastic team to go and be disciples for Him.  The most important part:  God MUST remain in coaching position of the team.  Without guidance from the coach, the team will falter.

Life promises trials and tribulations due to the brokenness of this world.  Since the fall, the enemy slithers around daily looking to deter people from keeping God as coach.  The enemy loves to destroy teams, especially families.  19 “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”  Matthew 18:19-20 

If the enemy can wedge in between two individuals working diligently for the Lord, he will do so at any cost.  Stand firm on God’s Truth as a friend, as a spouse and as a parent.  God’s Truth will establish a foundation so sturdy that none of the brokenness here can crack it.  God will provide individuals in your life – spouse, kids, family, friends, church family, etc. – to bind together and journey through life.  Embrace those relationships and place God as the coach of your team.

I may not be able to calm my children in every situation.  I have come to realize they too will go through trials and tribulations in this world.  My passion to make life easier than what I experienced is so strong.  I want to cushion all situations and protect them from any harm.  Living to do so brings exhaustion daily.  I realized that God is ultimately their Savior, not me!  I was placed here to guide them to Him.  They will only find true, lasting peace when turning to Him in EVERY situation.

The same goes for you and I!  We never grow too old to seek out our Savior in EVERY situation.  He will ease, calm, comfort, embrace, love and discipline so that we may be transformed each day, little by little, to exemplify the character of God’s child!

It’s DAY FOUR. . .who will be your coach today?
   
Live life. . .One Day at a time!
Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment