Thursday, January 3, 2019

Bubble Wrap Please!





Most days, I want to take my children and wrap them in bubble wrap.  When they were younger the bubble wrap would protect from physical injury.  As they grow, the bubble wrap will protect from emotional injury.  They just need protection from this world.  Unfortunately, I cannot place them in bubble wrap.

We are in a phase with my son becoming involved in a relationship.  He really likes this girl and spends much of the waking hours face-timing (replaced telephone conversations) or hanging out in person.  The time together is great for the two.  Relationships can teach us and grow us for sure; but, I remember relationships at his age. . .

Some aspects of relationship present decision making well beyond the knowledge of a 15-year-old.  They think in the here and now.  They remain clueless about future consequences.  They have not yet felt regret for a decision (or at least I pray not). 

My daughter, on the other hand, enters a phase of confusion.  Physical maturation is setting in and I don’t believe she likes one bit of it.  She battles with comparison (yes, already at 10 years old) to the other girls in her circle.  I cannot form the words needed in prayer to calm my fears as a mom.  I worry about the opinions she speaks of herself and the concern with physical appearance. 

Some aspects of remaining healthy and active are great.  While, stepping over the line of balance can lead to an emotional prison.  Girls at 10 years old cannot fathom their beauty inside.  They think about the current image in the mirror and begin picking apart every tiny flaw.  They remain clueless about future consequences.  They begin shaming, degrading self and working to perfect outward appearance. 

My son is amazing, and I don’t want him to lose focus in life.
My daughter is beautiful, and I don’t want her to second guess her purpose.
My son is caring, and I don’t want his heart to be broken.
My daughter is joyful, and I don’t want the world to steal her heart.

What is a mother to do?  Again, I believe bubble wrap would be the answer.  Or, maybe I just shelter them inside my home with no communication to the outside world.  Okay, for real, I know these aren’t the answer.

The answer is communication.  We must talk to our kids daily about the events going on in their world.  This life is full of hardships.  We are there to help, guide and pray with them.  We can point them to the One with all the answers to life struggles.  We assist in laying a solid foundation for which to stand and a soft place which to land when life crumbles. 

Another answer is honesty.  The struggles do not vanish with age.  I struggle in relationship.  My marriage is awesome; but, we face decisions well beyond our knowledge.  We think in the now with selfish motives and clueless on consequences.  I battle with comparison (yes, even at ____ years old).  I struggle to see the beauty inside and I still am picking up the pieces of past regret. 

The sum of it all. . .parenting is difficult!  We hope better for our children.  Our hearts break to see them struggle; all while trying our best every day to be a solid, healthy, consistent example for them to follow.  God blessed us with family to build a team.  We are to build a team to shine the light of God into the world.  Staying together as a team provides strength when times get tough.  The enemy will not stand a chance against a family protected by an army of angels. 

Instead of inhabiting the same house together, let’s work on building a home together.  Greet one another with love.  After being out in the world for 7+ hours, a loving touch, smile or simple greeting would assure they are entering a safe place.  Build confidence in the hearts of each family member that they are not alone. 

Pray.  Talk.  Laugh.  Eat together.  Play.

10 He died for us so that, whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. 11 Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.  1 Thessalonians 5:10-11

Live life. . .One Day at a time! 
Sheree Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment