Sunday, June 19, 2016

Life Interrupted

What a whirlwind kind of week.  The days did not go as originally planned.  The itinerary called for preparation to leave on vacation, finishing up needed paperwork, a trip to a local waterpark and my son participating in basketball camp.  Well, in came an emergency, wrecking all those plans. 

Come to find out, the pain taking over my mouth required a tooth extraction.  Being a wisdom tooth, the surgeon desired to take all four out at this time.  Totally fine with this idea, I moved quickly to get the appointment done prior to leaving for vacation at the end of the week.  Therefore, I had three days to get 6 days’ worth of work done.  The kids did wonderful in changing around the planned events and helping with packing.  The day of surgery I could not eat/drink 8 hours prior and it was not until the afternoon; therefore, that time was spent cleaning the house and distraction with chores.  All is good.

Following surgery, I was down for a while.  I literally was helpless.  I had to rely on my family to help with all sorts of minor tasks.  The first night I could not even walk down our steps alone due to anesthesia wearing off.  I learned quite a few lessons the three days following surgery. . .

Prayer is powerful – many prayed for me to ease anxiety, come out of anesthesia without complications and for smooth recovery.  I felt every one of those prayers.  God continued to place Scripture in front of me the day of surgery when anxiety flew through the roof.  No complications arose due to anesthesia and recovery is still going as expected.

My family is the best – my daughter has not left my side throughout recovery and expresses great amount of empathy toward the situation.  My son continues to help out whenever asked without grumbling or complaining.  My husband continues to help even though he has a hefty schedule of his own.  Extended family continued to call and check on me daily and help out in any way.

Being quiet can be a good thing – It hurt when making the motion to talk; therefore, I wrote down conversation on a notepad.  I realized some things need not be said and some battles need not fought.  My children survived their spats without referee mom intervening (due to the fact that I could not speak sternly or discipline with my swollen mouth).  It was eye opening.  Silence can be a very good thing (I am sure my husband will agree).  J

Many lessons come when emergencies occur, surgery takes place, illness strikes or itineraries change.  First and foremost – PRAY.  God will help you see through the fog of any situation.  He will hold your hand through it all.  Keeping emotions hidden or situations covered up only breeds ground for the enemy to strike.  Reach out to others for prayer through this life.  God created us to work together.  If not your family, close friends or neighbors.  Don’t do this alone. 

Sometimes in the still quiet moments God speaks loudly.  Sit at the Cross and listen.  He will speak and guide.  He will edit actions/words to lead down the path planned for you.

I am still not out of the clear; but, so thankful for all who came alongside and helped me through this situation.

We went to a local park for distraction the day before surgery. . .





They were worn out!




Yes, I did post such an awful picture.  Top one prior to surgery with my nurse!  Bottom left post surgery day 1, then bottom right post surgery day 2.  Day 3 looks much better and swelling is decreasing!  YAY!  Praise God.




Live life. . .One Day at a Time

Sheree Craig    

No comments:

Post a Comment