Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Avoid a Withering Spirit





“While you were at the mall. . .she was playing softball – she stole on you!”
“We love softball, yes we do, we love softball, how ‘bout you?”
“9er, 9er, hit a line driver.”
“Ball in the, ball in the dirt. . .yeah, she can make it work, yeah, she can make it work.”



Any softball parent can relate right now.  A weekend filled with games leaves a parent singing these jingles throughout the work week.  The girls behind the jingles reveal their passion for the game inning after inning.  Their focus remains on the diamond.  Their ears perk to the coach’s voice.  Their eyes hone in on each sign given with each play. 

I absolutely LOVE watching my children perform in sports.  Not for reasons of pride or to gloat (though these kids are awesome at what they do), or to gain another piece of hardware to dust in my home.  But, I love watching because I see the passion each holds for the sport.  I see the joy it brings when they step up to begin a game or competition.  I smile when teamwork shines out of their little hearts. 

Engaging in activities that gear our passions provides character building that cannot be taught in a book.  We learn from a young age how to lose, the feeling accompanying a win.  We learn how to manage time, socialize, the benefits of hard work, the joys of play, necessity of rest and value of dedication.

The jingles above fill the soul of a player.  The player knows full well that a team works alongside to compete to their best ability during the game/competition.  They are not alone. 

The cheers from the stands confirm love for each player no matter the results of the game/competition. 

The coach/leader encourages, teaches and builds the player to face each battle.

Whether my son brings home hardware from a competition or not, my love never changes.  Whether my daughter scores in a game, gets an out or not, my love never changes.  They are loved for the person revealed from the heart.  Will I work on developing a better player/performer?  Yes.  Will I give my two cents on their performance?  Yes.  BUT, not without loving them every step of the way.

This world can be cold, bitter and downright ugly.  Our worth ranked solely on performance.  Our acceptance based solely on outward appearance.  The world can break us, destroy passion and kill joy.  We get caught up in the world and stumble off the path laid for our lives. 

Ponder the joy felt while watching a child give their all during a game/competition.  Meditate on the actions each child performs.  Learn from these moments. . .

While the years pass by, we begin to age physically.  The body begins slowing down in every aspect physically.  If we throw caution to the wind, our spirit will begin to wither.  We must remain focused on the path God prepared, perk our ears to the Coach’s Voice and keep eyes honed in on the presence of God each day.

Burn with passion for our God, Creator and Father in Heaven.  He holds Truth required to live here in this world.  His Truths fill our soul, confirming that He walks alongside us in this world.  We are not alone.

The loved ones He places in your path confirm the love He holds for each of us.  He desires joy, peace and comfort in this cold world.  He is the Light that outshines the darkness.  He is the Way that provides clarity amongst the ugly actions in this world.  He encourages, teaches and walks alongside to build strength to face daily battles. 

His love never fails.  He never gives up on us.  He always desires a relationship. 

In you, Lord my God,
    I put my trust.
I trust in you;
    do not let me be put to shame,
    nor let my enemies triumph over me.
No one who hopes in you
    will ever be put to shame,
but shame will come on those
    who are treacherous without cause.
Show me your ways, Lord,
    teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
    for you are God my Savior,
    and my hope is in you all day long.  Psalm 25:1-5
   

Live life. . .One Day at a time! 
Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment