Saturday, March 24, 2018

Slow Down and Walk






Our church recently completed a journey.  The journey, though short-lived, left lasting impact.  God presented this journey in a timely manner within my story.  A climax moment woven into an unexpected chapter in my story. 

Obsess: to dominate or preoccupy the thoughts, feelings, or desires; to think about something unceasingly! 

The journey titled Obsessed walked us through various questions and promptings to discover what dominates our thoughts.  What desires overtake each decision?  What feelings dictate each step? 

The preacher honed in on three ‘C’ words to categorize common obsessions among individuals; Comparison, Control and Comfort.  Once completing a collaboration of questions, the answers placed you in a category.  To no surprise, mine fell in Comfort.

Comfort: to soothe, console, or reassure; a state of ease and satisfaction of bodily wants, with freedom from pain and anxiety!

The problem does not exist in being comforted; but, it is the source of the comfort that becomes the issue.  Where do I run when emotions rise and times get tough?  How do I handle uncomfortable situations? 

Over the years, I used any available source in this world to find comfort, numb out, avoid emotion and run from pain.  Whatever the source, it brought comfort. . .temporarily.  I continued this roller coaster for years.  I hit rock bottom and fell in exhaustion of running after comfort.  I came to the realization that comfort was not something to run after; but Comfort was something to embrace.  I found a Source that extended comfort in ALL situations, walking me through rather than taking me away from this life.  Through prayer and faith, I began to find comfort in a lasting Source. 

Step by step on this new path, I grew in strength.  Life didn’t hurt as much anymore.  People did not control my reactions as much anymore.  But, through this recent journey, God revealed a portion in life that I still run after comfort.  In the literal sense. . .I run after comfort.  I run until life makes sense again.  I run until all emotion is left in the dust.  I run and run and run until I feel good about me and strong enough to handle the hurts in this world.  All the while I am running, God is trying to speak louder than the pounding on the pavement.  I hear Him from time to time; but, unceasing thoughts of exercise and remaining “good enough” for this world overpower Him. 

See, I equate my worth with my health.  Why?  Because, over the years all the compliments from others revolve around my discipline to exercise and eat “healthy” foods.  Others even desire to sit and hold conversations pertaining to health and wellness.  Others desire to hear the knowledge I gained through obsessing over food, exercise and balancing the two.  Others desire to be in my presence based on my level of health. 

In the beginning, I used the balance of food and exercise to become healthy and recover from my eating disorder.  But, over time, I simply replaced restriction with “healthy” living.  Obsessed for sure!  Mind blowing information here, I know right?  I knew the obsession existed; I just did not want to face it.  I convinced myself it is okay and I must keep exercising to maintain and be worthy of existence.

This ends NOW!  I made my mind up during the journey to stop this madness. I took steps along the way to eliminate tools that allowed this obsession to continue each day.  I opened up to others and spoke of such obsession.  I brought it to God.  I said No More!  

Ironic enough, shortly after the last sermon in this series, I received information that will force such obsession to be eliminated from my story.  I will soon have a surgery that will knock the whole exercising down a notch or two.  I will be receiving a hip replacement, forcing me to give up running.  I must now slow down and walk through life. 

Walking through this life will not happen alone.  I am slowing down, taking God’s hand and walking with Him.  Instead of running ahead and away, I will walk alongside and be comforted by the One leading me through.

What is your obsession?  What dominates your thoughts everyday?  Walk with me in this journey called life and allow His Truth to overpower obsession in this world.       

With love my dear friends. . .

Live life. . .One Day at a time! 
Sheree Craig  

No comments:

Post a Comment