Saturday, January 23, 2016

One Foot in Front of the Other



Repetition and Routine go hand in hand with comfort.  Familiarity in situations allows peace to wash over individuals.  Why change?  Why fix something if it is not broken? 
Therefore, we continue each day repeating the same patterns.  We fall into routine, becoming predictable.  Unbeknownst to us, these patterns accumulated overtime bring results/consequences.  When it comes to health, the effects of daily decisions sneaks up and reveals itself during an annual physical.  Even worse, the effects show themselves through a heart attack or stroke.    

Why wait around until that magical ball drops on January 1 to evaluate what habits may be decreasing the function of our wonderful bodies?  The time is NOW!

Is it easy?  NO.  Believe me; I have overcome countless habits/addictions which caused detrimental effects on my health.  I woke up each day with a goal in mind and then did just the opposite when life began rolling in for the day.  I knew what needed to be done in order to reverse such negative effects of my disordered thinking/actions regarding health, but habitual routine and repetition overpowered. 

I spent ten years losing the battle daily.  Breaking the routine scared me more than the thought of killing a spider (and that is the ultimate scariest thing possible on Earth!).  Leaving behind the repetition of each day stirred emotions up, increasing my anxiety.  I could not do this alone.  Therein lies the key factor: change requires strength, encouragement, accountability, love and care.  We cannot provide such for ourselves.  The habits negate any encouraging thoughts.  The routine breaks strength of the efforts to change.  Over time, the negative repetition buried love and care for self.  We need a helping hand.

I want to provide such the hand for others.  Throughout the past seven years, I have changed a LOT.  I found me.  I learned the right way to treat me.  I began listening to me.  I want to help you do the same. 

Is it easy?  NO.  Is it possible? DEFINTELY YES!  I began this blog to offer some practical ways to incorporate healthy patterns in each day.  It takes that first step to begin walking in the right direction.  It takes one foot in front of the other to keep walking.  And it takes one day at a time to change.  Looking too far ahead will overwhelm and increase chance of going back to the same path – which is creating a rather large rut! 

Repeating the same action in hopes for different result = insanity.  Can I help you find strength in you, encourage each step, hold you accountable and love you along the way?  I care about you.  Even if I never meet you. . .I care about you!  I want others to come out of the rut walked daily and see the beautiful sun shining on the path laid for their lives.  I want to provide the help to others which I received to break routine and quit negative repetition which led to unhealthy living.    

Let us travel along this journey called life together.  Join me as I navigate through society’s myths, helpful hints to make healthy living easy and challenges to break repeated routines!

Reaching optimal health. . .one day at a time.
Sheree Craig           









1 comment: